MOUNTAIN MEALS ON WHEELS has been providing meals within our mountain community for over 38 years! It all started in 1979 – actually on August 13th, 1979 by the Mountains Regional Council on Aging, and sponsored by Mountain Community Hospital Auxiliary.
Its purpose was “to furnish a hot nourishing meal to persons who are ill or shut-in” and delivered meals on weekdays from Running Springs to Cedarpines Park. The cost was $2.25 per meal, with the hot meals provided by the Mountain Community Hospital kitchen.
The founder of Mountain Meals on Wheels was Lucy Kelly, who was the President of the Mountains Regional Council on Aging and the Treasurer of the Mountain Community Hospital Auxiliary. Ms. Kelly also provided “Hot Boxes” for the transporting of the meals, organized the volunteer drivers, and even delivered some of the the meals herself.
IN COMPARISON, little has changed since our founding in 1979.:
- Our mission remains to provide nutritious meals to people who are frail or unable to shop or cook their own meals
- The cost of the meals has increased only slightly ($1.50) since 1979
- The food is now served refrigerated, to be warmed by the recipient at their convenience
- Number of recipients has increased to 40 meals/day
- Our territory has expanded to include Arrowbear and Green Valley Lake